Member Rights and Responsibilities
Your rights as a member:
- Fair access to treatment and/or accommodations that are available or medically indicated.
- Be treated with respect, dignity and with consideration for privacy.
- Privacy of your personal information that BCBSND maintains following federal and state laws.
- Request a copy of your medical records from BCBSND. You have the right request that they be amended or corrected following federal law.
- Be informed about your health condition.
- Receive information about treatment options and alternatives. This must follow your condition and understanding. It should be offered regardless of cost or benefit coverage.
- Take part in health care decisions. This includes the right to refuse treatment.
- Make recommendations on this rights and responsibilities statement.
- Use the grievance and appeal process for complaints. You may do so by contacting BCBSND Member Services.
- Comments and timely resolution of disputes.
- Be free from any restraint or seclusion used for coercion, discipline or convenience. This follows other federal regulations on the use of restraints and seclusion.
- Be free to exercise all rights. By using those rights, the State, BCBSND and its Network Health Care Providers will not treat you differently.
- Information on BCBSND, its products and services, its providers and your rights and responsibilities, under 42 CFR §438.10.
- Request help with communication. This includes written information in other formats and written and oral translation services.
Your responsibilities as a member:
- Know your health plan benefits, its requirements and limitations.
- Tell the North Dakota Department of Human Services Division of Medical Services if you change your name, address or telephone number. This must be done within ten (10) days. To contact, call toll-free (844) 854-4825 | ND Relay TTY: (800) 366-6888 (toll-free).
- Tell the North Dakota Department of Human Services Division of Medical Services of any changes of eligibility.
- Provide the needed information to your health care providers to give care.
- Follow the treatment plan prescribed by your health care provider.
- Provide BCBSND enough information to process claims and provide plan benefits.
BCBSND non-discrimination statement:
BCBSND does not discriminate based on:
- National origin
- Gender identity
- Sexual orientation
- Religious beliefs
- Medical condition, including history of a mental health and substance use disorder
- Sources of payment for care
- Existence of an Advance Directive or age, in admission, treatment or participation in its programs, services and activities